2 GlobeTrotters: Christmas in Atlanta

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Christmas in Atlanta

We've been in Atlanta for over a week now and we've enjoyed spending time with family. It's been a few years since the whole Ford family gathered in Atlanta for Christmas, so it's been especially nice to spend this holiday season here.

This Christmas takes on added importance because there is a good chance that it will be the last my family celebrates in my childhood home. My father announced to the family at dinner on Christmas Eve that he will be retiring at the end of the year and they will be selling the house next year and moving full time to their mountain house. My dad has worked at the same law firm for almost 30 years.....that's longer than I've been alive.

It's hard to imagine coming to Atlanta in the future and not coming to Ragley Hall Road. It's always been home to me and through the years, as we all moved away, it's served as a gathering point for my family. I know I will still have family in Atlanta and my parents will be close by, but it just won't be the same. I will miss this house.

With the news that the house will be sold (and therefore must be cleaned out), everyone has been spending a considerable amount of time sifting through the 23 years worth of memories that linger here. My parents don't throw anything away and this is a big house, so there have been many fun trips down memory lane.

Jenny has been to Atlanta many times, but has never seen much of downtown. So we took a day this past week and went downtown to see what we could see. We visited the High museum of Art with my parents, ate lunch at the rotating restaurant on the 72nd floor of the Westin Hotel, visited my dad at his office, walked through Centennial Olympic Park (we found the commemorative Olympic brick I bought 10 years ago, but had never actually seen), and we finished off the day with visits to Underground Atlanta and the forgetable World of Coca-Cola museum.

Uncle Matt got to spend a lot of time with his two nieces (ages 1 1/2 and 4 1/2) over the past week. It's truly amazing to watch them grow up and it was nice to spend some good quality time with them.

Well, that's the recap of our time in Atlanta. We leave tonight for South America. This trip has been in the works for so long that it's almost hard to believe we are finally leaving! I hope that all of you have had a happy holiday season so far, and our next post will be from Rio!

Matt

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw your departure pictures and they made my back hurt just looking at you. Glad you were not hiking to Rio! Mom

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the coca cola museum rules

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Free Site Counters
Free Website Counters