2 GlobeTrotters: Saying Good-Bye to Sophie

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Saying Good-Bye to Sophie

It's true, our dog is like a child to us. We spoil her, we snuggle her, we are happy when she is happy. She wags her tail when we walk in a room, she gives hugs and kisses, she makes our life better. Some people won't get this but it's true.
Sophie is spending the next seven months with my friend, Mike, in Wisconsin. On Monday morning we packed up her crate and drove to the airport. I was on my way to Chicago to visit friends and Sophie would travel along with me. Even though she was in the way back of the car behind the crate she managed to squeeze her way forward, always wanting to be near her people.
At the airport we were sternly told to "put that dog in the crate. It can't walk around the airport." Sophie obediently walked into the crate but gave us those sad eyes. She's never used a crate and could not understand what was going on. After we finished all the paperwork I had to say good-bye and head toward the long security line. Matt stuck around and watched as she was picked up by the porter. Confusion was written all over her face....this was not her usual Monday morning.
As I boarded the plane I wondered how she was doing and asked the flight attendant to make sure she got onboard. Right before we backed away from the gate he came by and told me my "little one" was on the plane. Little one! If he only knew. I felt relieved though, knowing she was ok.
When we landed at O'Hare I rushed to baggage claim. Mike was waiting for us and I eagerly waited at the oversized luggage for her kennel. After an eternity she showed up and I was so happy to be meeting her "on the other side." She was glad I was there but I could tell she wasn't pleased with me! She confirmed this by riding with her head on Mike's lap when we left the airport. Mike dropped me off at Kim's house and Sophie and I said our good-byes (I tried not to cry). I could tell she liked her new friend Mike already. He called right after they left. He had put her in the back seat of his truck and she had jumped over the seat so she could rest her head in his lap again. She's going to be fine. Hopefully her Mom will be too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Free Site Counters
Free Website Counters